Egg Beater – Tyler Tilton

So I built an egg beater that literally beats eggs, like with boxing gloves.

The circuit is comprised of an arduino uno, a photoresistor, a motor, a button, and a single neopixel.

The photorisistor tells the arduino whether or not there is an egg in the egg cup. If it reads a value lower than 700, the neopixel will turn from red to green and then you can press the button to start the motor. Without anything in the cup, the device will do nothing. If you press the button, the neopixel turns yellow, the motor starts, spinning the boxing gloves and destroying the egg. If the egg falls off, or for whatever reason the photoresistor reads a value above 700, the motor will stop and the light will return to the red color. The motor will continue to spin if the photoresistor is still reading values smaller than 700 or until the user presses the button.

I ran into a few problems with this project. For one, I had it all done and tested the circuit and code on a breadboard before spring break. It worked with out a hitch. Then I put it into a box, and it completely stopped working. At some point the neopixel blew up. For a long time, the motor was spinning fine, without any assistance, but now every once in a while it needs help to get going. I also had to re-calibrate it when I moved to different places, for example: Hackberry where I built it is typically darker than the physical computing lab in science, so I had to adjust it when I got to class on Wednesday. I also had a power problem in some capacity. I’m still unsure as to what the cause was, but putting the button, photoresistor, and neopixel on the arduino’s 5v power and running that from my computer, while running the motor off a 9v power supply seemed to solve it. Also I had to add a common ground between the two.

If I were to improve this project, I would maybe add something to catch the egg, and maybe add a servo or something to assist the motor getting started and then tilt the spinning boxing gloves toward the egg once the motor gets going.

All in all I think this project was the most challenging so far just because I could not come up with and idea that I really liked, but it turned out ok in the end.

Here are a few pictures:

0323171915
The neopixel is red, there is nothing detected in the egg cup.
0323171915a
Its green, there is something detected.
0323171915b
Yellow means that the motor is currently running!

Here is a link to my code. (Also turned in on VikingWeb). I used a pretty simple state machine with if statements to determine if there was an egg in the cup, and an analogWrite to control the motor.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s